Subject: Re: EtherNet trouble
To: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1996 12:25:55

> I'm running the 1.2 dist on a IIcx. The Mode32 extension and the Memory
> control panel are enabled, everything else is off. During boot I get:
>
> ae0 at nubus0: address 02:60:8c:ea:22, type EtherNet Card, 32k mem.
> ae0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
>
> I noticed that there is no ae0 in /dev, I guess it should be. I tried
> logging out and running "Build Devices" from the Installer (v1.1) again
> but to no avail. I then checked the MAKEDEV script but no ae0 there either.
> I edited the files in /etc (hostname.ae0 etc.) anyway in accordance with
> the instructions that appeared on this list some time ago, but that made
> no difference.

I can't help too much w/ the ether error, but you don't have to build
a device for ae0. Network interfaces don't have device special files.
They live in the socket name space, which you can't get at through
ls (except for the part which makes sockets that are really files;
but TCP/IP doesn't really use them).

Take care,

Bill