Subject: Re: Performa 575
To: Mark Murdock <fee@tetranet.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1996 01:46:45

> >>   It's quite possible that I've overlooked something obvious, but maybe some
> >> of you folks will have a suggestion for me.  I've installed netbsd on a
> >> performa 575 12M ram, system 7.5.5.  040 processor.  I've tried the common

What kind of Mac is the 575 (i.e. is it an LCIII-style case?)  I'm really
grasping at straws here, but there was once a problem on LCIII's with 12
MB of RAM.  For some reason, the last 4 MB was causing trouble.  Is there
any way you can knock it down to 8 MB and try to boot it that way?
Perhaps (keep in mind that's a long shot), this will fix the problem.

> >> variations in the booter, and I've installed the math library that
> >>should help
> >> offset the lack of a FPU.  Still, every time I attempt to boot netbsd I get
> >> a single line at the top of my screen mentioning something about the ram:
> >> (NOT an exact copy, but an approximation)
> >> [ 123456 bytes of RAM blah blah kernel symbol table ]
> >>
> >> And then it freezes.
>
>  Gave it a shot and no go again.  I'm using the GENERIC9 kernel, if that
> helps.  I'm doing all of those suggestions, but it always locks up on
> the exact same line every time, no matter what I do.

Hmmm.  Try the above and see what happens.

Later.