Subject: Re: [Q] why IIci won't boot
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1996 10:17:49
Thanks, Colin.

> What video mode are you in?  You should be at most in 8-bit (256 colors)
> mode.  I believe NetBSD has trouble booting when in 24-bit mode.

I already reported my result to "port-mac68k".

I set the video not 8 or 24 bit mode but black and white mode really.

The key point for missing to boot is that the display cannot tell the
size information to booter (or MacOS), I suspect.  The multiscan 15'
display can display several size but lacks display-size-id pins to assign.
Older 13' multiscan display can show only one display size, of which
display-size-id pin #4 is connected to ground; that means MacOS can
know the display-size by sensing the id pins.

By the way, I have another questions.

Can NetBSD/mac68k boot without display?

I already work with NetBSD/mac68k-1.1 on another Macintosh.
Mac can boot without display, I tested.  However, whatever I did,
I cannot boot NetBSD/mac68k without display.  So I make the pulg,
that #4 pin is connected to groud, and pulg it to the display port.
I wish to know how to boot NetBSD/mac68k without display and
such a pulg.

Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
+81-86-251-8196(voice), +81-86-253-7399(GIII fax)
Dept. Biotechnology, Okayama Univ.