Subject: Serial port flow control
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1996 09:43:55
Howdy!

I'm just wanting to survey serial port use before changing them again.
I want to make sure that 1) none of the important features are broken
right now, 2) a feature which is probably going away for a while
won't be missed, and 3) check on a new feature (which will appear
over the next few months).

1) Is anything not working w/ the CURRENT serial ports? I've tested
them with my IIsi, but all seems well. Serial console works on
both ports, and serial echo works out the printer port. N.B. there's
a bug fix in CURRENT relative to 1.2 where we might wedge in hardware
flow control.

Serial ports don't work on the Q900/950 as it uses the IOP's used
in the IIfx. Sorry, but Apple (or someone else) needs to give me
a spec on what to do first. :-(

2) Is anyone using the full RTS/CTS flow control? Does anyone else
know about it? It's a hack where you set both crtscts and mdmbuf at the
same time. Then we use HSKo as a handshake. Note: this mode is NOT
what you use to talk to a modem! Modem users just ignore this part.

3) How many folks have Deskwriters or other printers which will print
text and run at 57600? I'm thinking about adding an option to the
boot sequence to let serial echo happen at 57600, which should go right
to the printer. Thoughts? N.B. This idea is moving to the bottom of the
to-do list. :-) Not the top.

Take care,

Bill