Subject: flaky harddrive
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael H. Lim <mhl@nano.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1996 23:59:11
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out if a problem that I am having with my
hard drive is hardware or software related. I had been using the
1.1 distribution very happily for a long time. After upgrading to
the 1.2 distribution I began to get strange medium errors. I
can't quite recall the message, but it went something along the
lines of: ncrscsi0 ... bunch of numbers. Every now and then I
would have to reboot in single user mode to run fsck_ffs
manually.

Well, I tried different kernals, GENERICSBC-9 and GENERIC-9 to be
specific, and proceeded to get lots of errors during boot. I
tried reinstalling the standard distribution kernal and booting
and that's when my SE/30 panic stopped right after leaving the
MacOS. I tried a number of things, and then got really pissed off
and reformatted the system partition and reinstalled. That's the
state of the machine right now. If anyone is wondering, all the
important stuff is on another partition.

So my question, after all that, is simply about the hard drive
driver. I have an old seagate 500MB hard drive that I took out of
an upgraded NeXTStation. Are there any compatibility issues
regarding hard drives?

If this seems vague, I am sorry. I don't know that much about
these sorts of things.

thanks,

Mike Lim