Subject: Re: Beep causing panic in quadra kernels?
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1996 10:18:10
> I seem to get a bus error everytime something wants to beep (the call just
> before the bus error is to something involving the sound chip -

Oh...  A _kernel_ bus error?  You should be able to set vi to 'nobeep'.
I'm compiling a kernel for you to try, though, that shouldn't configure
or try to use the ASC if it can't access the memory at probe-time.

If anyone wants to work on the sound driver, please do.  The current one
was hacked together by Brad and Lawrence after a little poking around.

> Does BSD panic beacuse of my broken hardware, or is it a general fault in
> the current kernel? Anyone else with a Quadra 840?

It panics because there's nothing at the address that it's trying to
access.  Please try ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/for.hans and let
me know how it does.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com