Subject: Re: Beep causing panic in quadra kernels?
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1996 04:47:09
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:
> I seem to get a bus error everytime something wants to beep (the call just
> before the bus error is to something involving the sound chip -
> asc_ringbell or whatever it is called). This happens in vi, vipw, more etc.
> The common symptom seems to be the sound. I therefore have a few questions:
> (a) Can I [easily] turn sound off, or do I have to build a custom kernel?
> (b) Under MacOS, my sound is broken - it seems the system can't talk to the
> on-board DSP. It does go 'boing' on startup, though... Does BSD panic
> beacuse of my broken hardware, or is it a general fault in the current
> kernel? Anyone else with a Quadra 840?

I get the same thing on my Centris 660AV (which has working sound under
MacOS). AVs don't have the Apple Sound Chip, apparently, and the hardware
gives some sort of bus error if you try to access memory from around
0x50f10000 to 0x50f18000. NetBSD thinks the ASC is at 0x50f14000, so it
bus errors when asc_ringbell tries to access the chip.

You'll have to build a custom kernel to fix the problem (or I can send you
mine if you like, which has the sound turned off).
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 20 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++