Subject: Beep causing panic in quadra kernels?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1996 11:30:34
The setup: Quadra 840 AV, 15" A4 screen, MacBSD on SCSI 2. Boots fine into
both single- and multi-user.

I seem to get a bus error everytime something wants to beep (the call just
before the bus error is to something involving the sound chip -
asc_ringbell or whatever it is called). This happens in vi, vipw, more etc.
The common symptom seems to be the sound. I therefore have a few questions:
(a) Can I [easily] turn sound off, or do I have to build a custom kernel?
(b) Under MacOS, my sound is broken - it seems the system can't talk to the
on-board DSP. It does go 'boing' on startup, though... Does BSD panic
beacuse of my broken hardware, or is it a general fault in the current
kernel? Anyone else with a Quadra 840?

Thanks,
/hcb

---