Subject: Re: Is pico.tar.gz a valid archive?
To: Pete Nush <pnush@voicenet.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1996 15:25:52
> I just downloaded the following file from ftp.macbsd.com:
>
> /pub/contrib/pico.tar.gz
>
> and when I try to install it, I get the following error message:
>
>      Invalid compressed data--format violated 1
>      Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>      Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
>
> I downloaded the file twice using Fetch 3.01 using Binary Mode, and the
> same error occurs.  Has anyone downloaded this file recently and installed
> it?  If so, did you do anything special to get it installed?

The archive is valid, I just unarchived it on a Sun machine running
Solaris.  Since the installer is giving you trouble, though, you might
want to not "install" it, but rather use the cpin feature of the
mini-shell to copy the file from a MacOS partition to your NetBSD
partition.  You can then use tar in NetBSD to unarchive the archive.

Later.