Subject: Re: Localtalk, Please???
To: None <mercutio@rpelkey.bates.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1996 11:40:20

> >From the rumor mill:
>
> I hear someone in the PC Linux/netatalk camp is working on localtalk
> support.  I believe I saw a name mentioned once, but haven't been able to
> find it again out on the net.  In any event, the necessary hooks exist in
> the Linux kernel, and judging from the documentation that comes with the
> kernel sources it sounds like localtalk is being worked on.  Perhaps Alan
> Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, the chief Linux networking maintainer,
> could be of help tracking down the person(s) responsible.  (Should you
> find them, please let me know...)

The thing about LocalTalk support is that you (on a pc) need special
hardware to do it. You need a Zilog SCC. Standard PC serial ports
won't do.

The point's kinda moot for NetBSD until we get NetAtalk in the kernel.
LocalTalk ONLY speaks ddp, the low-lying AppleTalk protocol. It's
silly to make a llap driver if we can't do anything with the packets
which will arive on it.

Take care,

Bill