Subject: Re: [port-mac] or [68k] in subject line?
To: Don Hamilton <infoactive@earthlink.net>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1996 09:32:30
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Don Hamilton wrote:

.. Hello all,
..
.. Would anyone else appreciate the mail server pre-pending [port-mac] or
.. [68k] or something before the subject of each message?
..

No - no - NO !

Please don't do this, keep the subject lines lean and mean.

.. It sure would help me sort through the 150+ messages I get a day... and
.. help keep me from missing private email subjects that  are interspersed
.. with the port-mac subjects...
..

I don't know which mail reader you use, but for many mail systems, you
can filter messages into different incoming mailboxes. This is much
better than just adding garbage to the subject lines, because when
you view one of these mailboxes, you'll only see messages from one
mailing list.

Just to give an example: I'm reading my NetBSD-related mail on an
Ultrix system with Pine as the mail reader.

I use filter (from the elm package, another similar tool is procmail)
to filter my incoming mail into different mailboxes using filtering rules
like the following:

  to = "netbsd-announce" ? save /usr/users/erik/mail/in/netbsd-announce
  to = "port-mac68k" ? save /usr/users/erik/mail/in/netbsd-port-mac68k

In Pine I have defined my incoming mailboxes with lines like the following
in my .pinerc:

  incoming-folders=NetBSD-Announce mail/in/netbsd-announce,
          NetBSD-Mac68k mail/in/netbsd-port-mac68k

In Pine, when I have read all messages in one mailbox, I can use the
<tab> key to go forward to the next incoming mailbox with unread
messages.

regards
Erik Bertelsen