Subject: centris650 gives 'panic: trap: no pcb' (was RE: 040 testers...)
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <HARBAUGH@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1996 18:35:31
On October 31, 1996, scampbel@astral.magic.ca (Steven Campbell) wrote:

  >The performance on my Centris 650 is not great yet, but definitely worth
  >seeing for yourself.  When I tried to run vipw to add myself as a user in
  >the passwd file, and when I tried to save the file, the machine complained
  >about an undefined operation, and then destroyed my passwd and shadow
  >password files, so that I was unable to login.  The same thing happened to
  >my /etc/rc file as well, when I tried to add fsck -fy to the disk checking
  >section.  The file got truncated on a write command and I had to replace
  >the file from a backup.
  >
  >My machine is a Centris 650 clock-chipped to run at 33 MHz, with FPU, 8 MB
  >of soldered RAM, and onboard ethernet.
  >
  >The newest booter is Booter1.9.4.sit.bin, at
  >ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/booter, and the latest 040 kernel is also at
  >ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/for.scampbel.
  >
  >Steve

I have tried my centris with this booter & kernel combo, but have not been
entirely successful.  The boot succeeds past closing the log file, but shortly
thereafter I get the following error repeatedly until the system freezes up:

     panic: trap: no pcb

Up to this point I have just been testing the kernel to see how far along the
boot process it gets; I don't have a root partition setup yet.  So I am wondering
if this just a sign that I have to go ahead and set up the system for a *REAL*
boot.  If so, what is the immediate next step?

| Toni Harbaugh-Blackford           | Internet: harbaugh@ncifcrf.gov         |
| System Manager                    |                                        |
| Biomedical Supercomputing Center  | Phone:  (301) 846-5798                 |
| SAIC                              | FAX:    (301) 846-5762                 |
| NCI-FCRDC                         |                                        |
| PO Box B, Bldg 430                |                                        |
| Frederick, MD 21702-1201   USA    |                                        |