Subject: Re: [Q] why IIci won't boot
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1996 11:36:19
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Mamoru Yamanishi wrote:

>  enabled...".  I realy set 32-bit addressing ON with the mory conrol

Sounds like 7.5.3 is faking 32 bit without doing things the "right" way,
but I could be wrong.  Are you using mode32?  If not, download it and try
again.  If that fails, grab a copy of the install software from 7.1 or
older, and do the following:

A Twelve Step Method for Boot Floppies:
---------------------------------------

1.	create a minimum system boot floppy for your mac.
2.	Have fun swapping disks.
3.	Write poetry or short stories while you wait....
4.	Install mode32 in the extensions folder.  If it doesn't fit,
	delete anything in the system folder except the system file
	(suitcase) and finder and try to copy it in again.
5.	reboot using this disk.
6.	Set all the settings correctly (e.g. 32 bit on).
7.	reboot using your hard drive as usual.
8.	Move the file "system" (suitcase) out of the system folder
	(root level)
9.	Move mode32 out of the extensions folder (to the root level
	of the disk, outside the system folder).
10.	Delete the system folder and all the remaining contents.
11.	Copy the booter onto the floppy.
12.	Boot with the floppy.

Hope that helps (and works),

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |