Subject: Re: 040 compile options, partitioning, and FPSP
To: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 17:46:39

> However, there is no routine to do this on the 68040 class of
> machines (at least there wasn't pre 1.2 - has anything changed?),

I think Scott's working on it. Though if you knew how to do it,
I'm sure suggestions'd be appreciated.

> > 1)  What does the FPSP compile option do?  040 floating point software?
> >     Do I need this to use an 040 CPU?
>
> This is only required if your Daystar is a "light" 040 with no FPU,
> ie. a 68LC040.

No, I think it's always needed. The built-in FPU in the 040's
(not the LC040) was only part of the 68882 FPU. The rest is
handled in the FPSP. The LC040 has no FPU.

> > 3)  Is there anyway to boot from a different partition of the same
> >     drive?  We set up a partition where we could set up a different
> >     root partition for testing purposes, but we don't know how to
> >     boot it.  We tried marking the partitions differently marking
> >     the old boot partition as a 'Usr file system' and the new boot
> >     paritition as a 'Root file system' and this didn't work.
>
> Hmm... Never tried this. Not sure it's possible without hacking the
> MacOS partition map.

In principle, what you want to do is the reason for giving the
Root Partition Name in the booter; if there are more than one
"root" partitions, the one whos name agrees becomes sdXa.

Take care,

Bill