Subject: video-card-less
To: None <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 14:58:30
Chris,
Can you give me any more details on booting without
a video card? I ran some tests last night on a
(non-FDHD) Mac II. I put a little program in the
"Startup Items" folder that would beep 5 times
when it launches. With the video card in, it boots
and beeps. Without the video card, the disk chugs
away for a while like it's booting, but I never hear
any beeps. I even tried without any extensions and
control panels in the system folder.

I just remembered, though, that I forgot to remove
MacsBug from the system folder. Perhaps this is
where it is hanging? Or perhaps the beeps are
disabled when there is no video card?

I've also heard rumors that there is an ISP here
in the southern SF Bay area (near Sunnyvale) that
uses headless Mac II machines as servers, but I have
not been able to track down any more details.

If anyone has any details on why this might not be
working, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

	--John