Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: Rachel Hitchcock <vitality@teleport.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 09:43:43
On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Rachel Hitchcock wrote:

> >Most likely you made the common mistake of naming your /usr partition to
> >be a non-root one so NetBSD didn't accept it as a Root&Usr partition.
> >Just remember, all NetBSD partitions are NAMED either SWAP or ROOT&USR.
> >Partitions with names of Slice, Free, Extra, etc are all basically
> >ignored by NetBSD.
>
> Yes, exactly! Since I wanted two partitions, one for usr, one for the
> rest, I created an "A/UX Root" partition and an "A/UX Usr" partition.
>
> So what you are saying is that I should have made both of them
> "A/UX Root&Usr" partitions... Damn! Now I have to borrow my friends

No.  NetBSD recognizes the following:

Root&Usr or Root (mounted on /, generally)
Usr (mounted wherever it's specified in fstab)
Swap (never mounted, used as virtual storage)

> that /dev/sd0a and /dev/sd0g are not clean, and prompts me to
> fsck them?

You may have to run fsck on new partitions anyway.  At least I always did
when creating new partitions.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |