Subject: Re: 630 series.
To: Michael Bedy <mjbedy@mtu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 09:40:48
On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Michael Bedy wrote:

> 	Ok, let's try this question: Has anybody successfully tried NetBSD
> on a Macintosh 630 series computer? I know they have the Valkyrie video
> system, and I don't think too many Mac's have that.

Don't know on that point.

> 	One other question to whomever wrote the FPU emulation: Will this
> emulation be affected by the same bug that keeps SoftFPU from working on
> certain (read: mine) revisions of the 68LC040? If so, am I pretty much out
> of luck forever when it comes to NetBSD?

I remember reading about that bug.  I doubt it will affect NetBSD's FPE.
SoftFPU doesn't actually emulate anything.  It just rewrites the calls,
converting them from FPU calls to SANE toolbox calls.  NetBSD FPE does
true emulation and is thus less likely to notice the 68LC040 bug... but
not guranteed or anything.

> these questions. If it NetBSD will run on my computer if I get a SCSI
> drive, then I'll spend the money for one, otherwise, I'll just get a Zip
> drive, or sell the Mac and get a PC instead (unlikely..).

Well, it's not like you can't run NetBSD off a Zip drive or anything.  :-)

I don't know if it will run on that system currently, but I'm pretty sure
it will be supported eventually.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |