Subject: Re: Is pico.tar.gz a valid archive?
To: Pete Nush <pnush@voicenet.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 09:32:34
On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Pete Nush wrote:

> I just downloaded the following file from ftp.macbsd.com:
>
> /pub/contrib/pico.tar.gz

If you mean on macbsd.com... I hope to heck so.

> and when I try to install it, I get the following error message:
>
>      Invalid compressed data--format violated 1
>      Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>      Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.

Installer bug, I believe.  No tarred and gzipped file I've ever created
under NetBSD has been readable by the installer... ever....  I think it
may have something to do with whether you tar and then gzip or gzip
through pipes. I can pull it apart and put it back together under NetBSD
to see, though.  Try using the mini-shell, use cpin, and then use

tar -xf pico.tar.gz --ungzip

from within NetBSD.  That _should_ work.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |