Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: Rachel Hitchcock <vitality@teleport.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1996 06:42:46
>Yes, exactly! Since I wanted two partitions, one for usr, one for the
>rest, I created an "A/UX Root" partition and an "A/UX Usr" partition.

Mike,

Ah, thought the problem sounded familiar - been there done that.

>So what you are saying is that I should have made both of them
>"A/UX Root&Usr" partitions... Damn! Now I have to borrow my friends
>Jaz drive again and repartition my hard drive. I guess I am
>willing to live with it for now. Is this why netbsd keeps complaining
>that /dev/sd0a and /dev/sd0g are not clean, and prompts me to
>fsck them?

Try using the disk formatter you used to partition the disk in the first
place. Most of them that I've played with will allow you to change the
name of the Partition without actually doing anything else to the
partition.  You could also try using the new verison 1.2 Mkfs that's on
puma.  It will allow you to do this.  In fact whenever it sees an
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 type partition that you've designated for NetBSD use it
will force a name string into the Partition Map entry that should
satisify the Kernel.  As for coming up non-clean I'm not sure, but you
may be onto something.

>If I get the source and build my own kernel, where in the source could
>I modify the kernel to accept Slice, Free, etc?

All NetBSD sources are avilable from sup.netbsd.org and the mirrors. As
for where in the Kernel to start hacking, I don't know and I'm not really
sure it's something you'd want to do anyway.  Setting up partitions is
usually a one-time thing and any modifications to this code would
probably ripple down into Mkfs and the Installer and might possibly break
other things that are coming down the pike for NetBSD/mac68k.  Also, very
few of the disk formatters out there actually have options for building
alternate Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partition types, so your proposed mods would be
very formatter specific.  With Apple discontinuing AU/X some of the disk
formatters are even starting to drop the ability to build AU/X type
partitions, and that was one of the motivations for the recent changes in
Mkfs.  Best advice might be to muddle through and learn the scheme that's
currently in place and use it.

>Having burned many unnecessary cycles getting this installed, I am
>highly motivated to participate in creating documentation on
>pre-install and install and config steps for the complete novice.
>I've started gathering FAQs and some listserv stuff, can anyone point
>me to other useful documents to incorporate into this?

Colin Wood might be the best one to talk to and I'm sure he would love to
have the help in creating more documentation and expanded FAQs.

Hope this helps,
-bob