Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rachel Hitchcock <vitality@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1996 10:49:44
>>I booted into single-user, checked things out (are there standard
>>walk-through
>>sanity checks?) and went into multiuser. Once again it died, which
>>I expected, because in single-user, a df showed that /dev/sd0g was
>>not mounted on /usr.

>Most likely you made the common mistake of naming your /usr partition to
>be a non-root one so NetBSD didn't accept it as a Root&Usr partition.
>Just remember, all NetBSD partitions are NAMED either SWAP or ROOT&USR.
>Partitions with names of Slice, Free, Extra, etc are all basically
>ignored by NetBSD.

Yes, exactly! Since I wanted two partitions, one for usr, one for the
rest, I created an "A/UX Root" partition and an "A/UX Usr" partition.

So what you are saying is that I should have made both of them
"A/UX Root&Usr" partitions... Damn! Now I have to borrow my friends
Jaz drive again and repartition my hard drive. I guess I am
willing to live with it for now. Is this why netbsd keeps complaining
that /dev/sd0a and /dev/sd0g are not clean, and prompts me to
fsck them?

If I get the source and build my own kernel, where in the source could
I modify the kernel to accept Slice, Free, etc?

Having burned many unnecessary cycles getting this installed, I am
highly motivated to participate in creating documentation on
pre-install and install and config steps for the complete novice.
I've started gathering FAQs and some listserv stuff, can anyone point
me to other useful documents to incorporate into this?

Mike Hitchcock
mike@unival.com
(temporarily vitality@teleport.com)