Subject: Re: 040 Kernels
To: Rachel Hitchcock <vitality@teleport.com>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1996 13:46:20
I've found and fixed a bug or two in the 53c96 scsi driver (esp0) and
put a new netbsd.quadra kernel up for 040 owners to try out.  There is
no longer a separate netbsd.quadra_dual kernel--this kernel includes
that code and should allow Q900's and Q950's to probe the scsi bus, but
they still can't boot all the way for lack of a console.  There is also
some issue about how to specify the root scsi id (i.e., "which bus?"
since NetBSD won't care if you have scsi ID 4 on both busses (MacOS
does care)).

> I was having trouble booting into multi-user--it would panic
> just before checking the SCSI bus.

Do you mean, 'just before checking filesystems'?

> I booted into single-user, checked things out (are there standard walk-through
> sanity checks?) and went into multiuser. Once again it died, which
> I expected, because in single-user, a df showed that /dev/sd0g was
> not mounted on /usr.

That will not happen unless you mount it by hand.  Part of going
multi-user is mounting root r/w and mounting the rest of the filesystems
specified in /etc/fstab.

If the kernel that I've just put up has the same panic/vm fault, please
write down the info the shows up before 'db>' and the output of the 't'
command from the debugger.

> And finally, I am thinking about using the -current snapshot Steve
> Allen mentioned today, but what is SBC SCSI?

SBC scsi is for the folks with the 5380 SCSI chip.  You have a 53c96.
The kernel that Steve put up is probably lacking my most recent changes
to the esp (53c96) driver.

> which of all these kernels to settle on (netbsd.quadra, netbsd.quadra_dual,
> netbsd.scampbel, netbsd.current)

Actually, the first three that you list were the same kernel for a
while.  I've removed all three and put one netbsd.quadra up.

> My next step is to install the source code and start cranking out my own
> kernels. Where is the source/patches for these various kernel builds located?

The changes that I've been making have been checked in and should be
available with NetBSD-current (available via sup from sup.netbsd.org and
mirror sites).

> OK, I'm finished now. If you reached this point, you deserve a soggy
> milky way.

Yuck...  Keep it...  ;-)

-allen

--