Subject: Re: ADB...
To: None <allanc@idea-inc.com, briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1996 16:55:52
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-mac68k: 4-Nov-96 Re: ADB...
by briggs@puma.macbsd.com
> I seem to recall that the Mac won't boot without a video card installed.
> It should be OK with no monitor, though, as long as there's a video card
> there.

Actually, it does boot.  MacOS fakes a video card, from what I understand.

The problem is in the booter, because it screws up the booter's
detection of 32/24 bit address, and so the booter displays an alert to
the effect of "You don't seem to be in 32 bit addressing mode, would you
still like to continue??"  Of course, since you don't have a video card
in the machine you don't see this.  But if you type return, the machine
_should_ boot.  You may have problems if you don't rig some kind of
serial console.  That's what I ended up doing on mine.  I didn't
actually have anything attached to the serial port, however.

Allen and I had this discussion a few months ago when I had similar
video-ethernet interrupt problems on my IIcx.

These problems were, of course, later overshadowed by Quantum hard drive
corruption problems.

I ended up spending $30 for a Toby card.

Good Luck.

-c
|Chris Mason - cmason@nyx.net  cmason@cmu.edu  http://ros.res.cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|