Subject: Re: Testing for devices in kernel startup
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1996 15:07:39
On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> Not bad, but I think that we ought to write a small faq about installing
> and some frequent errors, and tips, and instructions, and add a help menu
> to the installer and the booter that would display these FAQs and TIP, I
> think this would stop 80% - 95% of the questions that get asked on these
> list about installing.

A help extension, in fact, would be most awesome.  Does someone have
experience with this, so that one could just drop the "NetBSD Booter Help"
file into the Extensions folder and it would Just Work?  How about
building a "Booter Installer" that would do this automatically (anyone
have Developer VISE?)...

> We could also include the address of the lists, the
> URLs of the web pages, and tell them what sort of information to include
> when asking questions.

The Booter documentation pages are an excellent start at the sort of
information we need, but it would be nice to integrate this stuff
somehow.  It would be great if someone could pick up this project and run
with it.

--scott