Subject: Fried ADB chip - replacement?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Denton Gentry <denny.gentry@Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1996 13:00:05
  Ok, I'm a moron. I tried to attach a backpack style case for
  2.5" SCSI drives to my SE/30. The backpack gets its power
  from the ADB port. I managed to fry the ADB chip on my
  motherboard doing this.

  Now when it boots the LEDs on the keyboard do not flash
  like they used to. The mouse does not move the cursor in
  the MacOS screen. The keyboard and mouse work properly on my
  other Macintosh (PB 540), so I am sure they are ok and the SE/30
  is not. I now measure 1.2 volts across the ADB power pins,
  I assume that should be 5 volts.

  Using the other machine and the Installer's minishell I got
  the serial console enabled so the SE/30 will boot into NetBSD and
  can be used, but this is not as pleasant an environment to work in.

  I've started perusing comp.sys.mac.wanted for SE/30 motherboards,
  with no luck thus far. However there are a lot of SE motherboards
  for sale, cheap. I know how to solder surface-mount chips,
  does the SE use the same ADB chip as the SE/30 (or the II/IIx,
  which also have motherboards for sale cheap)?

						Denny