Subject: Re: ethernet/video woes
To: None <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1996 03:11:42
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-mac68k: 3-Nov-96 Re:
ethernet/video woes by John Wittkoski@netscape.
> I know you can do this to boot without a monitor (fake the video
> card into thinking there is a monitor installed). But I want to
> boot without even a video card. Sounds wierd, but this machine is
> destined to become a firewall and/or gateway, so it really doesn't
> need a video card at all. Logging in over the network or serial
> line is all I need.

It is possible to do this.  You must have the right kernel. (use
something more recent than NFS_22, which I know doesn't work)

With the last version of the booter I tried (1.9.3b2) you will get an
alert during the boot process, saying that 32bit address or somethings
isn't enabled.  But if you can type return (either with a keyboard, or
through an extension like OkiDokey which automatically says okay to
alerts after a certain time elapses), it will actually boot.

If you run into problems, be sure to check out the output of a serial
boot echo.  Also try turning on logging in the booter.

Good luck.

-c
|Chris Mason - cmason@nyx.net  cmason@cmu.edu  http://ros.res.cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|