Subject: Logitech 3 Button Mouse Issues
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1996 23:47:08
Well, I have been playing around a little this weekend
with a Logitech 3 button mouse.

Although I am sure some of you already are familar with
this, some brief background:

There is a protocol known as the Extended Mouse Protocol
that Apple devised that allows the handling of 3 button
mice under MacOS. This protocol is supported under NetBSD
to allow the 2nd and 3rd mouse buttons to be used under X.

In order to enable this protocol, you send a special
command to the mouse, basically asking the mouse to start
talking the new protocol. It either ignores you and
continues behaving the way it did before (as a 1 button
mouse would do) or starts using the new protocol.

Not all 3 button mice support this protocol. :-(

The LogicTech Mouseman sort of supports this protocol.
That is, when you ask it to use the new protocol, it
changes what it sends so that it mostly looks like the
extended mouse protocol. However, the layout of the
buttons is different, as well as a few other things.

So, anyway, that's why the Logtech MouseMan 3 button
mice don't really work. I hope to work on this a little
more so that the data gets sufficients munged into
something that the other routines can understand, but
that will have to wait until next weekend.

Later,
	--John