Subject: Re: ethernet/video woes
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: John Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1996 23:08:12
Colin Wood wrote:

> A Mac can be booted without a video card.  There are two pins which have
> to be connected for this to work.  I can't remember which ones at the
> moment, but it has been posted to the list before (or perhaps someone in
> the know will reply).  You can just use a paper clip to connect these
> pins, though.  Also, one of those Mac/VGA adapter things will perform the
> same function (although it is a wee bit more expensive than a paper clip).

I know you can do this to boot without a monitor (fake the video
card into thinking there is a monitor installed). But I want to
boot without even a video card. Sounds wierd, but this machine is
destined to become a firewall and/or gateway, so it really doesn't
need a video card at all. Logging in over the network or serial
line is all I need.

	--John