Subject: Re: Serial console...
To: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1996 16:45:49
> I'm trying to boot with a serial console. It boots fine for most of it,
> but then it simply stops with the message:
>
> Nov  2 06:40:26 seymour getty[87]:/dev/ttye0: Device not configured
>
> How do I configure it?

Have you built devices?

At any rate, though, this is probably not the problem.  The problem is
the /etc/ttys has a line in it that tells the kernel to exec getty on
your console (i.e. ttye0) as it boots into single user.  You need to
adjust a couple of lines.  Edit the line in /etc/ttys that has ttye0 on
it and change the word "on" to "off".  Likewise, edit the line that has
tty00 on it (for the modem port) or tty01 (for the printer port, I think)
to say "on" instead of "off".  This will start a getty on the appropriate
port and should avoid the problem you were having.

Later.

P.S.  I think this is in the FAQ, or perhaps a Serial Console HOWTO on
puma.  Take a look at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/