Subject: Re: Installer problem?? was Re:base 12
To: alex <axou@tiac.net>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1996 14:41:41
>>i had problems installing the base i would install it foirst ... is it a
>>quantum drive ?? is there a error in mounting the root partition ?
>>try a few times and see if you get any further the second or third time..
>
>yes it's a quantum fireball 1.2 gbyte I already tried 5 time but every time
>I have to reinstall everything ( it crashes my all HD )

Hi,

A number of quick questions.  Which version of the installer are you using??
(Hopefully, version 1.1).  If you use the MacOS "Get Info" menu selection
while you have the installer highlighted, what does it list in the
"Preferred Size" box??(Preference is 1500K or more)   What is the size(in bytes)
of the downloaded base12 file??("Get Info" can be used to find this out)  Also,
which ftp site did you retrieve it from??  What MacOS version are you running
and what Mac hardware are you installing on??  How much memory does your
system have installed??  Do you have virtual memory turned on or off and
are you using anything out of the ordinary like RAM Doubler??  How large
is your root partition??

Sorry for the slew of questions, but I'm just trying to pin down the culprit
for your problems here.

I have reinstalled just yesterday on my Q610 and had no problem with any of
the NetBSD 1.2 tar files.

If it is an installer problem, I'll try to fix it, but I'm having trouble
recreating the problem.  Please respond with the information I have asked
for, and I'll take a look at it again.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com
partime keeper of the much maligned installer code