Subject: Re: ethernet/video woes
To: None <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1996 06:01:59
<snip>>
> Then I install an old Asante MacCon MC3NB ethernet card
> (enet chip is DP83902). It recognizes the card and I can ifconfig
> it, but it totally hangs when I try to send any traffic out the
> port (ping, etc). A break (over serial console) into ddb and
> a trace gives me:
<trace deleted>

> I remember hearing about problems between certain ethernet
> cards and 24 bit video cards. I don't have an 8 bit card and
> I (unfortunately) can't boot without the video card. (Does
> anyone know if a Mac _can_ be booted w/o a video card?)

I think it is actually a conflict between certain video cards and
all ethernet cards. I've seen it with a Samsung one bit full page care
and every ethernet card I tried.

> So, has anyone played with a similar setup recently? Is the
> video card at fault, meaning I should but get an 8 bit card,
> or is it just the horrible interrupt conflict monster rearing
> it's ugly head again?

getting a new card would fix the problem. I think that a number of
cards work but the toby frame buffer cards (from apple) are widely
used. They work with color X in my case (Thanks Taras, recently, and Kenn before that)

Brad