Subject: Re: Serial console...
To: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1996 13:31:06

> I'm trying to boot with a serial console. It boots fine for most of it,
> but then it simply stops with the message:
>
> Nov  2 06:40:26 seymour getty[87]:/dev/ttye0: Device not configured
>
> How do I configure it?

You don't. ttye0 is the graphics screen.

You should go in and edit /etc/ttys, and turn off the getty on ttye0
and turn on the getty on the port you're using for serial console.
tty00 is the modem and tty01 is the printer (on NetBSD).

The reason it stoped is that you don't have a getty (thing which lets
you log in) on the console port, not because of the above message.

You should actually be able to boot by booting in single user, and
then:

fsck /dev/sdXX (where XX is the root partition; it probably needs an
			fsck or two)
mount /      (will mount the root partition read-write; note: fsck first!)
vi /etc/ttys
		and there are lines with ttyXX on the left. Find the one
		with ttye0, and change the "on" to "off" about two-thirds
		across the page. Turn the corresponding "off" to "on"
		for the tty where you've put the console.

If vi sin't your friend, you can cpout /etc/ttts and edit under MacOS.
I'd recomend the fsck's first, though.

Take care,

Bill