Subject: Localtalk, Please???
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Hamilton <infoactive@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1996 12:03:38
Hi all:

I've read the posts telling of the lower priority for localtalk/ethertalk
implementation, but let me please cast another vote for implementing this
soon.

So far I have netbsd up and running (despite slow hard drives) and have
gotten apache, perl and msql running together. The biggest problem now,
wishing to program and test web cgi apps, is having to reboot every time I
want to load a new script or whatever onto the macunix box.

Using a mac only system I link up a couple machines locally through mactcp
and PPP, communicating to a machttp server and macperl.  It runs great and
is very handy for web development, and no ethernet is necessary (although
of course etalk is faster and mo' better.)

If only I could talk to my macbsd box as easily, I can control my entire
system (including a win95 portable) and my remote sparcstation from a
single inhouse computer - cheap!

I want the power!!! :-)

I offer to research and assist in this but I'll need help with the
programming. As a c programmer, I'm at about yellow belt level.. I can get
it pseudo coded and probably to alpha code quality, but a real guru (or
several) will need to help make it ready for prime time.

Does anyone else out there want tcp/ip through a localtalk connection? ==Don