Subject: Running NetBSD 1.2 on a Performa 460?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Pete Nush <pnush@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1996 12:43:06
Hi,

I'm new to NetBSD and having some trouble getting it up and running on my
Mac.  I'm familiar (on a novice level) with using UNIX, and work on a
SPARC-1 at work running SunOS 4.4.  My problem is getting far enough to
even apply my minimal knowledge of UNIX.

I installed NetBSD 1.2 easily enough.  I run Booter 1.9.4 and everything
seems to go OK for booting: the system 'restarts' and the initial NetBSD
text comes up on the console (kernal memory location, copyright message,
etc.) along with some initial register information, and then an exception
occurs repeatedly.  I can't stop the scrolling to read either the exception
error or the initial NetBSD text.

If I start at the bottom of the screen and move my eyes up to the top
rapidly (quite a silly activity for anyone watching me), I can glean the
following tidbits from the error message:

Kernal exception error in ddb
?????????? type 16, v=0, ???????=0
FPU trap ?????????????????????????

I am running System 7.5.3, booting with Extensions Off, 20MB of RAM, and a
68882 FPU installed.  I've been following this list for about a month and
haven't seen anything similar discussed, so I thought it was time to throw
it in.  Any ideas?

I have a program called TattleTech that compiled a 66KB text file of my
system particulars if that would be of help to anyone.  Let me know and I
can e-mail it to whomever is interested

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide...

Pete Nush                                     E-mail: pnush@voicenet.com
Norristown, PA  USA

Rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Rule #2: Rule #1 doesn't apply to engineers.