Subject: Compiling a new kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1996 08:57:04
Thanks, Scott, for the tip on how to compile a new kernel--I upgraded my
sources to 1.2 from 1.1 and re-compiled config.  I was then able to
configure a new kernel and compile it for my Performa 600.

I ended up running "make depend;make;make clean" twice since the kernel
wasn't in the compiling/p600 directory after the first time.  It took about
three or four hours--is this normal?  The kernel I compiled did work, but
when I put the video card back in my system I get the same hang as before:
"slot_noint() slot d" repeating continuously.  I commented out macvid* at
nubus in the p600 configuration I edited (copied over from GENERIC), but
apparently this is not enough to ignore interrupts generated from the nubus
video card.  Could someone give me a pointer of where I should be looking?
Thanks a lot--it's nice to be able to roll my own kernel now...

P.S.:  I was running X and systat during the compile, so I suppose the
combination was eating a lot of CPU cycles.  I did also notice that the
system keeps time MUCH better now--it didn't seem to lose ANY time at all
during the entire compile operation which is a very impressive improvement
from before.  Great work guys!