Subject: Re: installing macbsd
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1996 17:13:50
On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, synapse wrote:

> >It doesn't matter at all.  If the installer recognizes the file initially,
> >then that's not the problem.  I think I've even saved some with the
> >teachtext file type (albeit in binary download mode) without trouble.
> >
> err, he doesn't mean which type/creator a file should have, but what type
> of format fetch should be recognizing it in. remember, do *not* download it
> in "text" mode (also called "ascii"). do not download macbinary, because (i
> think) macbinary-encoding puts resource forks of mac files into binary
> format (like the data fork kinda). "raw data" does what it says, raw data.
> although the type/creator of ????/???? doesn't matter, it downloads it in
> binary mode, without the encoding.
>   - a

I think you'll find that those selections are only applicable for
uploading.  Downloading options are those three radio buttons on the
bottom of the window.  Automatic usually nets you ASCII, ASCII of course
yields ASCII, Binary = Raw Data.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |