Subject: Re: IDE
To: Michael J. Bedy <mjbedy@mtu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1996 16:32:08
On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Michael J. Bedy wrote:

>   Ok, I just joined this mailing list, so forgive me if this has been
> asked: Is there any current plans to implement IDE support for us poor
> users with a 630 series mac? I've got 20 megs of ram, an 68LC040 at 33/66
> mhz which I'm sure would run it nicely, but I'm cursed with this damn IDE
> hard drive, and no money to get a SCSI drive!

Last I heard was a few months ago, but there was a semi-working driver
that could read and write and seek minimally, but only one block at a
time, i.e. with delays in between.  I may not have understood that 100%,
though, was a while back (and I'm just a CS minor :-).

>   You have NO idea how annoying this is. Every implementation of UNIX for
> the mac either requies a newer, or old system than I have!

Oh yes, I do.  That's how I felt trying to find -current binary snapshots
in the post 1.0 days for my IIsi.  When 1.1 Alpha came out, I grabbed it
and am still using it.  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |