Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: None <mike@unival.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1996 00:42:54
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 briggs@puma.macbsd.com wrote:

> >           Allen-- what is the scoop on these kernels? How do they vary from
> >           "standard" 1.2?
>
> They're based on -current.  Several things have changed from 1.2, but
> nothing major that I can think of.  Scott?

I knew that was coming.  :-)

There really aren't many major changes in the Mac-specific code, so I'll
list them:

 - The ite console device attaches to a grf device (internal or NuBus
   video)
 - ROM vectors for some more machines
 - Minor fixes to get the 68LC040 machines to use the floating point
   emulator (but there are still bugs in the emulator itself)

Some of the machine independent changes are:

 - New reboot() syscall (this is why you need COMPAT_12 in -current
   kernels to work with 1.2 or earlier binaries)
 - 68k-specific bug fixed in emulating the FMOVEM instruction
 - A kernel structure change (which requires new netstat/systat binaries)

None of these changes is particularly earth-shattering, and with the
exception of the reboot() change which you need to be aware of, none of
these will appreciably affect basic operation of the system.

--scott