Subject: Daystar 040 accelerator
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1996 01:18:25
I've been trying to get my IIci to work with a Daystar 040 accelerator
(plugs into the PDS slot), and seem to be running into the same
problem over and over.  I can boot single-user successfully, but
certain commands always bomb with "illegal instruction", examples
include 'w', and 'ps'.  Eventually after issuing several commands,
the kernel panics, sometimes dropping into the debugger, sometimes
just locking up.  When booting multi-user, always seems to bomb
in one of two places, depending on whether or not it fsck's the
file system.  This leads me to believe that the kernel can
execute a certain number of commands before it dies.  I've tried
all sorts of various settings with the MacOS-side control panel,
including booting w/o it, but I doubt that it should affect anything.
The one time I got a message from the kernel as to why it died,
it said something about not knowing how to handle an A-Trap.
(I can get the actual message if anyone cares.)  I'm using a -current
kernel compiled from the source supped a couple days ago.

Any ideas on what to try?  Should I compile a kernel specifically for
the 040 (makeoptions CC="cc -m68040)?  What other options should I
enable in the kernel?  Is the scsi driver the only thing that keeps
the stock 040 macs from working, or are you seeing similar results
on the Quadra/Centris?

Sean

Sean Sweda                        :            Owner, Motor City Marauders
sweda@us.itd.umich.edu            :   1994 Internet Baseball League Champs
http://www.umich.edu/~sweda       :                     http://www.ibl.org