Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1996 22:54:06
>If we're going to continue using the ROMs for anything (including video
>stuff), we're probably going to have to move the I/O and Nubus spaces
>back to where they "belong".  *sigh*

Never fear. While you might have to keep NuBus space where it "belongs", the
trend for "internal" devices seems to be coding our own. ADBTEST, intvidtest,
the IWM lkm, SCSI, sound, and just about everything else is completely NetBSD
code. That's they way it >should< be since we can re-map and tweak the code
as much as possible.

The NuBus space is a different story. Unless somebody writes a driver for each
and every card at the driver level there is little hope of much card support.
However, many cards like video cards can be "easily" supported via ROM support
off the card. If it the card is well behaved it will stick to NuBus space
and a few simple system calls.

Other cards can be supported more flexibly. If I ever have time to work on
the kernel after intvidtest I'd like to add support for my 4 port serial card
and write an parallel driver for a National Instruments NB-PRL card I might
be able to salvage from the round file at work. *Those* cards can be done in
pure NetBSD code (the NB-PRL card *has* to be done that way since NI doesn't
write software for it).

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill