Subject: Re: Centris 610
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <mike@unival.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1996 14:09:40
          > Did you get the latest netbsd.quadra yesterday, or
          > did you grab it soon after the announcement?  I replaced the
          > netbsd.quadra and netbsd.quadra_dual files (they're now the
          same
          > file) sometime yesterday.  The current one _should_ boot on the
          > C610, and should definitely get past this problem.

          Yeah, well.... I grabbed them after the post about the earlier
          ones
          being bad, but I guess I wound up with the earlier ones. I
          downloaded
          them again, and got a _LOT_ further--it probed the SCSI bus
          (accurately,
          too!) and got to the point where it tried mounting root. Since
          the partitions
          were raw, it died of course.

          After running mkfs on my partitions, I switched to another kernel
          (for.scambel)
          and it got to the point of trying to init single-user. Since
          nothing was on the
          filesystems yet, it died. Finally, this morning I installed
          base12, etc12, and man12.
          Using the for.scambel kernel, I booted into single-user. The
          warnings about
          slow SCSI were valid--I did an ls, and it took ~30 seconds to
          come back
          with the directory list. I didn't do much more, and then tried
          going multi-user.
          It didn't seem to like the fact that /netbsd doesn't exist
          (booted from kernel on MacOS
          side) and died in a panic when it tried starting the local
          daemons. (Sorry,
          I was in a hurry, didn't write exact messages down).

          BUT we now have ADB and SCSI for 040! I am so excited! I will try
          playing with all
          three kernels tonight.

          Allen-- what is the scoop on these kernels? How do they vary from
          "standard" 1.2?
          While I am somewhat a novice at programming, I have been a UN*X
          Sysadmin for several years,
          and I am quite ready to do what I can to make the 040 port more
          robust.

          Mike Hitchcock
          mike@unival.com