Subject: Re: ppp quandries
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1996 09:18:29

> hmm...i took a totally different approach to doing this.
> first off, i made a /etc/ppp/options file with vi (I know how to use it
> now, yay!!) in that file, i put:

This is (basically) what we do now. But another explanation is always good!

> ---cut here---
> /dev/tty00
> 115200

Uhm, our serial ports don't support 115200 at the moment. You're probably
getting 57600. But this will fail when the serial drivers get merged with
The M.I. drivers as I'm going to put in code to make sure the baud rate
you get is within 5% of the one you wanted.

Some of the newer macs can support 115200, and we might turn it on in the
driver at some point. the problem, though, is not that the chip can't
handle 115200, but that we get an interrupt for EACH character received.
I doubt the II-series of machines will deal well with such a load.

> was there a better way to approach this anyone? it worked fine for me <shrug>

That's basically what the ppp kit does, except that it's a bit
fancier (the password is kept seperate from the chat script and merged
in on the fly), and that we let the other side of the ppp set its
(the toher side's) IP address. That address ends up being the default
route.

If you're on a setup like Stanford's, you can get one of 20 or so moden
servers, so not only is YOUR IP address dynamic, but so is the other
end's. Just leave out all IP's, and it should default to dynamic.

The poster's note about getting a "done" comment before anything happened
is correct. That message means pppd has been spawned. You (he/she) need
to turn on debugging, and add an option to /etc/syslog.conf to catch
the messages (which are *local2 for chat in verbose, I think; I keep
forgetting and I'm sure I'll get corrected!).

Take care,

Bill