Subject: Re: where is majordomo?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joshua Krage <jkrage@access.digex.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1996 21:59:00
As a few have requested, I've compiled and briefly tested Majordomo
1.94 with NetBSD.  Note: I havn't actually run it on NetBSD (my box
isn't Internet-connected quite yet), but all the parts work.  The port
is ultra-simple, since there is only a single C file to compile, and
it comes with POSIX support.  An instant clean compile.

Majordomo itself can be tricky to configure for the first time.
Rather than attempt to provide a generic configuration that will
require customization, I've just appended the sequence I used to
install Majordomo on my system.  It sets a few basic paths that should
be generic to NetBSD (except maybe Majordomo's home and UID).  If
you're new to Majordomo, READ the INSTALL and NEWLIST files at a
minimum.

Source:
        ftp://ftp.greatcircle.com/pub/majordomo/majordomo-1.94.tar.gz

Unpack into a directory:
        zcat majordomo-1.94.tar.gz | tar -xf -
        cd majordomo-1.94

Backup the configuration files, just in case:
        cp Makefile Makefile.orig
        cp sample.cf sample.cf.orig

Edit the Makefile, and change the following lines:
  line  15: PERL =          /usr/local/bin/perl       (or wherever perl is)
  line  26: W_HOME  =       /usr/local/etc/majordomo  (home dir for majordomo)
  line  56: W_USER =        32767                     (UID of owner/runner)

Edit sample.cf, and change the following lines:
  line  32: $digest_work_dir = '/usr/local/etc/majordomo/digest';
  line  42: $sendmail_command = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";
  line 154: $TMPDIR = $ENV{'TMPDIR'} || '/tmp';

Run the following sequence of commands, watching for any errors:
        su
        make install
        make install-wrapper
        cd /usr/local/etc/majordomo
        ./wrapper config-test                   (watch closely for errors)
        vi majordomo.cf                         (read everything)

Fini.

jkrage@access.digex.net         Time, precious time. Where does it all go?