Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: Illegal Instruction
To: Chris Mason <cmason@ros.res.cmu.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1996 00:25:55
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Chris Mason wrote:

> I'm having some problems with kernel panics caused by illegal instructions.
> I believe the problem to be with a Kerberos distribution that I compiled.

I wonder if this was instead "panic: Kernel Illegal Instruction".  (I saw
one of those with a new color kernel, which was encouraging in the fact
that it got further on my machine than ever before.)

> 	Is it normal for Illegal instructions in userland programs to cause
> kernel panics and essentially hang my machine (well, except for the
> debugger)?  Or is it a function of the kernel I'm using, GENERIC_67?

No, it's not normal, though I'd hesitate to stake my life on this not
being the case.  If it's what I suspect it is, it could be a driver or a
compiler issue.

> Would upgrading to a -current
> kernel be of any help?

I wouldn't expect that enough has changed in the -current kernels to make
this worth your while.

> 	How can I tell where it is hanging?  What is ktrace?  I really don't
> have any idea where the illegal instruction is coming from.  Traces in the
> debugger are rather unrevealing.

Even so, this might be helpful.  This generally means copying them down by
hand, unfortunately.  (Been there, done that... too many times.)  I
suppose this means I ought to look at the new libkvm.

--scott