Subject: Kernel Panic: Illegal Instruction
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Mason <cmason@ros.res.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1996 17:06:02
I'm having some problems with kernel panics caused by illegal instructions.
I believe the problem to be with a Kerberos distribution that I compiled.

I was wondering:

	Is it normal for Illegal instructions in userland programs to cause
kernel panics and essentially hang my machine (well, except for the
debugger)?  Or is it a function of the kernel I'm using, GENERIC_67?
(possibly some sort of debugging enabled?)  Would upgrading to a -current
kernel be of any help?

	How can I tell where it is hanging?  What is ktrace?  I really don't
have any idea where the illegal instruction is coming from.  Traces in the
debugger are rather unrevealing.  I have a feeling its in some of the DES
code that came with the distribution.  But no real evidence to support that.

Thanks alot for your help.

-c
|Chris Mason - cmason@cmu.edu  cmason@nyx.net  http://ros.res.cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|