Subject: FS*CKs
To: NetBSD Mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Hamilton <infoactive@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1996 11:20:56
Hello all,

Here's the loop I'm in..

HW:
Mac IIx, 20MB Ram, 1.2 generic, internal Quantum 80, external Seagate 60 &
Miniscribe 20

This system runs well when it boots. All has functioned well as configured.

When I boot up either the system comes up fine, or I get:

sd3(ncrscsi0:4:0) error code 91 at block no. 1280 (decimal)
sd3(ncrscsi0:4:0) error code 91 at block no. 1280 (decimal)
Can't open /dev/rsd3g: Input/output error
/dev/rsd3g: CAN'T CHECK FILESYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3g: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
/dev/rsd2g: file system is clean; not checking
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HADAN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
        /dev/rsd3g (/home)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Enter pathname....

The weird thing is that fsck -f shows a clean system on all disks. I've had
no problem with the Quantum drive, unless this is a manifestation of the
problems reported here.

This system booted perfectly this morning. I launched msql & perl to make
sure they worked - they did.

I rebooted to add some new software through the mac Install utility.
Reboot. These errors appeared. fsck -f reported all clean systems. They all
mount -A fine.

I've had this same problem repeatedly but not predictably- and I only get
through occasionally. Usually I'm hosed.  When I log in through the single
user shell I can mount all my volumes. I can login to root but can't run
msql due to an IP socket bind. So, I must reboot again and hope that all is
OK.

Yikes! Whatzup here??? Any help is greatly appreciated! :-) ==Don