Subject: 040 testers...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1996 00:26:23
OK, '040 testers...  I've got a kernel for you to test that may work and
may crash on you.  It's working on my Q700 right now, though slowly.
The driver is a port of the driver that is used on NetBSD/sparc and
NetBSD/alpha.

What you'll need to do:
	* Install the NetBSD booter
	* Download the test kernel in binary mode
	* Configure the booter to boot from the kernel in the MacOS;
	  possibly with the serial console, too.
	* Attempt to boot.

If it gets through the SCSI probe and prompts for the root device, then
you should be able to install the 1.2 binaries (except for the kernel)
and try booting up into single-user.

This kernel is very unfriendly to the clock--you are likely to lose
seconds every minute that you are accessing the disk.  The disk
performance is very poor, too (we get and service a via2 interrupt
for every byte transferred).  I'm planning on working on this next,
but it would be great to have other folks working on it too (hint, hint!).

I'd especially like to hear from people with a Q900 or Q950 to know if
it at least probes both busses.

I've built two kernels for you folks to try.  Please try
netbsd.quadra_dual first.  If that fails, try netbsd.quadra.
Let me know if it works for you!

Thanks,
-allen

--