Subject: Re: CD-R
To: None <dmays@fi.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/1996 11:38:39
> Hey - I recently acquired a CD-R machine for use with my Mac.  I will
> have it until 11/10/96.  Is anyone here interested in making an archive
> of stuff for the NetBSD community?  Perhaps a distribution package and
> some source/precompiled software archives, etc.....  I know I'd love to
> find a way to mount a CD of NetBSD sources on my machine and do the
> compilations to a different directory.  hmmm...

If it's a real ISO9660 drive, the cd9660 file system will mount it.
Basicallly if it's a UNIX CD, not a MacOS CD, you're set.

As for compiling, there are two options. One, use the DESTDIR set up
(though I'm not sure how well it works) to put everything somewhere else.
Two, compile a kernel with the unionfs built in. It is a filesystem
specifically designed to let you "write" to a CD. You mount a part of your
hard disk on top of the CD. Reads of files on the hard disk use it.
Reads of file not on the hard disk use the CD (object and source files
respectively). Kinda cool.

Take care,

Bill