Subject: Re: ncrscsi driver trouble
To: Isaac Salpeter <isaac@ticalc.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/1996 11:28:22
> I had some horrendous problems trying to use my 2 gig Seagate Barracuda
> with my SE/30. I discovered that the problems were twofold:
>
> 1. Something in the system can't handle drives larger than a certain size.
>    Even if I split the drive into 256 meg partitions, it would still only
>    work properly up to a certain arbitrary size that was at the same
>    physical location, regardless of the partition structure. I sidestepped
>    the problem by using a monolithic 512 meg partition and a 64 meg swap
>    partition after that. The rest of the drive is in 2 MacOS partitions.
>    Oh well - 512 megs is more than enough for this SE/30 anyway. :)

I don't think NetBSD had a problem with big drives, but Bob Nestor has
pointed out that both mkfs and the installer DO have problems with
large drives. Basically there's a "big" read and write command, which
the booter didn't know about. So instead of writing to the upper 1G,
it wrote to the lower 1G, possably on top of a MacOS drive or worse..

It's been fixed in mkfs.

Take care,

Bill