Subject: Re: 1.2-current machine status
To: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@hops.cs.jhu.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1996 18:12:52
>I finally got my brother to run a Gestalt thing for me... it identifies
>itself as a Mac LC (id 19).  The odd thing is this:
>It says it has a 68020 CPU - while there is a 030 on the Daystar card...
>It says it has a 68882 FPU - where there is NONE on the motherboard, and a
>68882 on the Daystar Card.
>It says it has a "68030MMU", which is also on the card.

Scott,

There appears to be a group of LC-II type machines that are in fact more
LC than LC-II in capability. I don't think that's what you have though
since you have identified this as an after-market enhanced system, but
somehow it isn't being recognized as a full upgrade.

>Why does it not recognize my newer CPU? (Maybe thats why the comptuer
>never seemed much faster with the card than without it...)

Just guessing, but I suspect there's a jumper on the motherboard that
causes the ROM to identify the system as an LC even though the processor
has been upgraded to an LC-II type system. Other Mac systems use similar
techniques, but so far we haven't been able to pin this down on the
LC/LC-II.

>Does this affect anything about whether or not NetBSD will still run?  Can
>it run on an 020 that has a 68882 and a 030MMU?

We've tried to force NetBSD to run on this type of system and have never
had any success even though NetBSD is capable of running on an '020 with
PMMU.  I suspect that without figuring out what to change on the
motherboard to get the system to really think it's an LC-II, you'll be
out of luck.

-bob