Subject: Re: 1.2-current machine status
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@hops.cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1996 16:59:02
On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Bob Nestor wrote:

> >Also - I have a plain old LC at home, which has been upgraded.  I forget
> >the exact name of the card, but it is made by Daystar, and has a 16Mhz
> >030, and a FPU.  When I run MacOS, I don't have any extensions or anything
> >to access the card, and all sorts of diagnostic type software just think
> >that its an LC II with an FPU.  What is the likelyhood of this working
> >with NetBSD?  I'm very excited to try last time I tried, it was my only
> >computer, so I had to try to get it running off a 40Mb Syquest drive.
> >Now, we have a powermac as well, so its simple to dump the LC's hard drive
> >off to a folder on the powermac and do a total install.
>
> Scott,
>
> If your upgraded LC responds to the Gestalt Manager and identifies itself
> as an LC-II (ID=37) and not ID=19, you have a chance.  You'll probalby
> know the difference if you look at the "About this Macintosh" while
> running MacOS.  Another way is to run the ROM Sniffer, and a third is to
> just try NetBSD.  You'll need a post 1.2 Kernel (or what Colin calls a
> 1.2-current). The one at:

I finally got my brother to run a Gestalt thing for me... it identifies
itself as a Mac LC (id 19).  The odd thing is this:
It says it has a 68020 CPU - while there is a 030 on the Daystar card...
It says it has a 68882 FPU - where there is NONE on the motherboard, and a
68882 on the Daystar Card.
It says it has a "68030MMU", which is also on the card.

Why does it not recognize my newer CPU? (Maybe thats why the comptuer
never seemed much faster with the card than without it...)

Does this affect anything about whether or not NetBSD will still run?  Can
it run on an 020 that has a 68882 and a 030MMU?

I have the output file from the Gestalt program, so if there are any other
gestalt selectors that provide usefull info, please email me.

Scott